Monday, January 27, 2014

Protecting My Brain!

Sometimes I think there are just too many words in my head that I can't keep them all straight! Well, it's either that, or I have to claim yet another "senior moment"!  I used to think that those moments of forgetfulness were supposed to be just for the over 65 crowd, but then they started happening to ME! YIKES!  This gave me all the motivation I needed to do some research on protecting my brain so I can stay smart, focused and with a strong memory for a LONG time to come! Let me share what I've learned with you.

1. Don't avoid a check-up!  You want to make sure that your blood pressure and blood sugar are at healthy levels because high levels of either of those can impact your brain function.  Ideally you will avoid medication by eating healthy and exercising to get the levels back in place.
2. Don't worry, be happy! - In this hectic fast paced world we live in, it becomes all the more necessary to take time to relax and de-stress.  Find ways to be in the moment and breath slowly and deeply.  Life is too short to let every little thing ruffle your feathers.  High stress impacts the circulation to your brain and  is associated with memory loss.  Whether it's walking with a friend, going to church, taking a yoga class, getting out in nature or finding a quiet spot to pray, do something that will help you release and find peace.
3.Do eat and juice your veggies! In research done with 4000 senior adults, those who ate 2 or more servings of vegetables a day showed a significant decrease in mental decline compared to those who ate less.  Juicing is also a powerful way to get your nutrients. One study found that 3 glasses of fresh vegetable or fruit juice a week provided a 76% lower incidence of Alzheimer's disease.  Leafy greens like Romaine lettuce, spinach and Kale are great to add to green smoothies and to eat in salads.
4. Dance, walk, and just get active!  Exercise is vital for maintaining mental health. Get outside with a friend and walk in the fresh air and sunshine 30 minutes every day.  A Harvard study found, when tracking 469 seniors over the age of 75, that those who danced regularly decreased their risk of dementia by 76%! Dancing involves both physical and mental effort.  Martial arts such as Qiqong also so great promise.
5. Eat healthy fats! We hear all about inflammation these days, well healthy Omega -3 fats help fight that inflammation. Eating olives, avocados, raw nuts and seeds along with fatty fish like wild caught salmon are not only good for our brains, but our hearts as well.  
6. Chow down on fruit! All fruits are rich in antioxidants - those things than fight off the free radicals that can harm our DNA and brain cells!  But berries are especially good for our brains. Apples, which contain the antioxidant, Quercetin, are also protective.
7. Spice it up! Research has shown that Cinnamon and Rosemary are powerful brain protectors, especially against Alzheimer's disease.  Turmeric and  Paprika are great to use too.

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate these words Nancy. They are motivating and reflective. I thought of my Mom actually, who was plagued with dementia later in life. High blood pressure and stress were frequent features of her day prior to moving her into assisted living. I know we were given bodies that can be in balance if we do the right things for them. I am quite motivated and already celebrating the future changes in me. Blessings!! Vikki J. Myers, Worship Leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Vikki! My Mother also suffered with Dementia and so I too am rather motivated to keep my brain cells all intact and functioning!! :-)

    ReplyDelete